Workshops Page

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Where To Shop For Fabric And Wool In New York City

New York New York, what a huge city and so much to see.

We shouted with the very passionate locals at the ice hockey at Madison Square Garden; drank daiquiris in a mug with flashing lights at the basketball and walked walked walked the blocks of NYC.

How pretty is this bottle? It's just green tea on the shelf for about $2 bucks
I'm going to use it as a vase

I was quite surprised at the limited number of fabric shops in NYC. I googled everything and could only find a few. I really wanted to buy some supplies like bag handles and clasps but couldn't find a store that stocked them. So, for those of you yet to come to NYC, I will share the fountain of knowledge with you on where to go, so that you don't have to research like I did. In doing so I can write it off as a business trip then can't I?


The biggest fabric store I visited was B & J Fabrics. They have EVERYTHING, walls and walls and walls of it. Fashion fabrics, craft fabrics and all that shiny sequin stuff too. You will need at least 3 hours here. Go with a project in mind or you will be overwhelmed. They will send you samples too if you want.
I couldn't get a photo as I ran out of time; I was the last to leave the store :-).

They don't list everything on their website as there is just waaaaaaaaay too much. You have to see to believe. I found a bolt of Anna Maria Horner sketch book fabric for $15.95 yard!!! Most of the craft fabrics were $12.95 yard. That's it! plus a little bit of USA tax of course.


The Brooklyn General Store was very cute. If you're a knitter (Fran) then you will have died and gone to heaven here. Not a huge range of fabrics and quite a walk from the station but nonetheless a pretty shop to visit. They had some amazing leather bag straps that I've never seen, but they were $68 a pop; sadly I had to leave them behind.

The General Store, Brooklyn

For the wool lovers, The General Store, Brooklyn

How cool is my new wide angle lens, I can get everything in the shot!

Purl Soho, Soho, Sorry, I only had my iphone here

Me at Purl Soho

Purl Soho had a larger range of fabric and also a huge range of colourful wools. They also stock some good books. I bought Amy Butlers new book for $30! It's $50 in Australia.

Me in Central Park

Apart from B&J Fabrics, The City Quilter had the largest range of fabrics. Nothing I hadn't seen before but cheaper of course.


How awesome is this. I stumbled across this clothing store and they had old singer sewing machines from floor to ceiling throughout the entire shop! They were everywhere! I don't even know how they would have got so many.


And just for your viewing pleasure, here is a photo of some undies you can buy at Macy's to enhance your BUTT! I don't know about you, but I'm always trying to decrease by butt, not make it stick out like this.

I'm off to enjoy the pork ribs and amazing music of Memphis. I'm visiting Elvis tomorrow. x

1 comment:

  1. I am looking for wool clothing for a 5 toddler girl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow Me