Workshops Page

Friday, May 7, 2010

Back To The Bush For Mothers Day

image from deniutemuster.com.au

I'm taking a road trip today and heading back to my home town of Deniliquin (the ute capital of the world) for the Conargo Billabong Market. Conargo is a small town not far out of Deni, consisting of a pub and a convenience store. You may have seen the famous Conargo Pub sticker on a ute or two.

The market is on Mothers Day and over the years has seen 4'000 visitors from the area come to check out the home sewn, home grown, made and baked goodies on the day.

Good old Deni as we fondly call her has taken quite a beating over the last few years with the drought and the closing of the largest rice mill in the southern hemisphere where hundreds of jobs were lost. So an event like the markets is a great thing for the community financially and for community spirit. I'm really looking forward to it.

If that many people turn up it will be my biggest market yet, so I'm getting prepared for the stampede.

2 comments:

  1. Ha that's hilarious! My good friend Alyce just moved to Deniliquin from Melbourne to take up an arts management job. I'm not sure exactly what she does but it's something to with the regions art programs. So I've heard quite a bit about old Deni! I hope you have a fabulous weekend there.

    :) Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! It's a big change from Melbourne. I hope she likes it there. That's pretty freaky hey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow Me